Anna University was established on 4th September 1978 as a unitary type of University. It offers higher education in Engineering, Technology and allied Sciences relevant to the current and projected needs of the society.Besides promoting research and disseminating knowledge gained therefrom, it fosters cooperation between the academic and industrial communities.The University was formed by bringing together and integrating two well-known technical institutions in the city of Madras. College of Engineering, Guindy (CEG)(1794)Madras Institute of Technology , Chrompet (MIT)(1949) and three Technological Departments of the University of Madras.Alagappa College of Technology (ACT)(1944)School of Architecture and Planning (SAP)(1957)Situated in the southern part of the city of Madras (Chennai), the University's main campus extends over 100 hectares abutting the Adyar River on the north and Raj Bhavan on the south. The Madras Institute of Technology at Chrompet constitutes the second campus of the University which extends over 20 hectares. Both the campuses have a variety of buildings serving the various needs of the University community. A third campus extending over 80 hectares is located at Taramani near the Instronic campus, Adyar. The Bioprocess Laboratory donated by SPIC is located at present in this campus and a few more centers of advanced studies, like National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Sugar Research Institute, Mechatronics Institute, Entreprenuership Development Park, and Convention Centre will also be housed there in future.
Vice ChancellorProf. Dr.M. RAJARAM
AddressSardar Patel Road,Guindy Chennai,Tamil Nadu
Phone Numbers044 - 2235 7097
Fax Numbers044 – 2230 0916